“Four things support the world: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayer of the good and the valor of the brave.” Gerald Ford
Memorial Day Weekend has finally arrived! What a special occasion to take the time to reflect and honor those who have died in all American Wars, and those in the military who may not have died in combat, but have passed on afterwards. They are all heroes to us in every way. We give these fine veterans the greatest thanks and praise for the selfless sacrifices they made protecting our freedom for future generations.
I always spend this holiday honoring my father. His favorite book growing up was “ The Red Badge of Courage,” which inspired him to begin his patriotic journey by working his way up from Boy Scout to Eagle Scout tout de suite. He graduated from business school, enlisted as an officer in the Navy, worked his way up to becoming Captain of a minesweeper during the Vietnam War with high honors. He also ran for Congress, and lost by only a handful of votes. He was a stalwart and courageous leader, a loyal and enthusiastic comrade, and a treasured son, brother, husband, father, and friend. He always did the right thing, always loved and never gave up—which made him such a tremendous inspiration. I felt so blessed to have had such a wonderful All American Dad, my hero. This weekend we will be raising our glasses high with blessings to all of those honorable American heroes up above who courageously protected our freedoms for future generations fighting in honor for our country. God Bless our troops and God Bless America!
Memorial Day is also a favorite holiday for the opening of Grilling Season and for Mustard Girl’s Squeezin' Season! Grilling up those yummy brats, burgers, hotdogs, and chicken are all part of the fun, as are delicious sides such as cole slaw, and potato and egg salads. One of my favorite burger recipes (below) was created by our sweet Cali girl, Missy Powers a.k.a. Waves N Craves Girl! She is one of my most favorite people on the planet, and a ray of sunshine to your heart and tastebuds with her delish recipes. For more info check out Missy’s sunny website here www.wavesncraves.com . One recipe in particular we love is her All American Turkey Burger recipe adorned with Mustard Girl Sweet N Fancy Yelllow! ( I have also included an out-of-this world Mustard Girl Potato Salad in case you are looking for a great side!)
Waves N Craves Mustard Girl All American Turkey Burger
2 tbs olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 tbs low-fat mayonnaise
1 tbs ketchup (Red 78 Ketchup is our favorite!)
1 tbs sweet pickle relish
½ tsp white vinegar
1 lb ground turkey
2 Whole wheat hamburger buns
4 Sliced dill pickles
1 cup Spinach
1whole sliced tomato
¼ cup Sweet & Fancy Yellow Mustard Girl All American Mustards
2 slices sharp cheddar Wisconsin cheese
1. Heat oil med-low, add onions and salt to taste, cook until soft & golden about 25 until caramelized
2. Mix Mayo, ketchup, relish & vinegar in a bowl, set aside.
3. Prepare 2 turkey patties, heat grill & toast buns on the grill. Spread toasted bun bottom with 1 tbs mayo/ketchup mixture, layer with pickles, spinach, and tomato.
4. Salt & Pepper both sides of patties, grill for 4 minutes, brush on 1 ½ tsp 'SWEET N’ FANCY YELLOW, MUSTARD GIRL' Mustard on the uncooked side of each patty, then flip & top with cheese, cook 2 to 4 more min,
Serves 2, but you'll want way more than that.
Mustard Girl Potato Salad
4 pounds russet potatoes
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
3 Tablespoons chopped pimento, drained
2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
3 Tablespoons sweet pickle juice
3/4 cup light mayo
1/3 cup MUSTARD GIRL SWEET N FANCY YELLOW MUSTARD
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tsp paprika
6 hard boiled eggs
1. Boil potatoes in salted water 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender.
2. Drain the potatoes and spread out on to a cookie sheet to cool quickly, about 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine celery, onion, pimento, relish, mayonnaise, and mustard.
4. Combine cooled potatoes with other ingredients. Stir in pickle juice and season with salt and pepper.
5. Peel hard boiled eggs, place each egg in egg slicer.
6. Decorate egg slices in a circle on top of potato salad in the bowl then sprinkle with parsley and paprika on top.
Hope you enjoy!
Wishing everyone a Happy and Safe Memorial Day Weekend!
PS. For those in Madison Area, Mustard Girl Mustards will be the official mustard for the Wurst Times Festival! This wonderful festival will have over 10,000 bratwursts and 40 bands. All proceeds raise money for kids who are in need of instruments for schools. We hope you can join us for this great cause and celebrate a good start to Memorial Day!:)